Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Is poser held to a higher standard?

kobaltkween opened this issue on May 18, 2007 · 102 posts

scabrat posted Sat, 19 May 2007 at 9:11 AM

Quote -  

Some of the reasons the Fab 5 hates Poser.

1.It's cheating

2 It's to easy

3 Takes no skill

4 All the renders look a like

5 It's affordable

6 They took 3 months to model a untextured face they modeled that does not quit look right but you rendered a hole character in 10 minutes.

there frustrated beyond words they want there complete character looking correct.but 6 months for it is not practical but they done spent 3 months to get this far.

can not quit after 3 months but ya can't spend another 3 months on the same mesh.

1. Who's it cheating, art is is about art, not how it is produced. Whether its a top class render, or something made out of a pile of stuck together milk cartons, IF it is pleasing to the observer, it works.

2. It,s so easy. Well clearly it isn't, or we wouldn't have so many cases cited of 'crap renders'.

3. It takes no skill. As above.

4. All the renders look alike. Just like 'posers' playing with a more complex tool, but don't have the skills to use it.

5. It's affordable. As are top level tools to non-artists with rich dads.

6. This is just gobbledy gook with attricious grammar. I'd need to be a rocket scientist to understand it.

Poser is unashamedly nothing like as complex as the high end apps, nor should it be. It is however a potentially powerful tool, usable by those with a requisite skills to produce fine results.

It seems strange to me, ridiculas in fact, that in the case of poser, the very worst examples (and they are numerous I admit) are used to assess the apps abilities, while only the best examples are cited to assess the abilities of the high end stuff.

Surely it is more reasonable to assess ANY tool on the BEST work created with it, not the WORST.

Unless of course it is only about snobbery and spin. ;)