Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Teeth in renders too bright?

Conniekat8 opened this issue on May 18, 2007 · 33 posts

Zarat posted Sun, 20 May 2007 at 3:50 AM

Quote - Also I look at htings this way, in my schooled profession, which is Civil Engineering and Land Surveying, when somene tells me (full of excitement) that they found their property corner, or pored concrete on their patio, it's extremely difficult for me to show them the same excitement as another neighbor might, and when I try, it's extremely hard for me to not come across as contrived.

Well, I'm also no artist inasmuch as I got no formal training. I have to work with artists sometimes and in my family are / were quite a few whose artisitc POV's collides with my scientific (theoretical physics) POV on a daily basis...
It's fascinating what someone with many years artistic experience and a good amount of talent can see where others see nothing, no matter how long they look.

If I point out something then it's mostly physics or medicine related stuff because that's what I see first and most precisely. The ability to rejoice with someone about his artwork is limited by my ability to see a picture as an expression or personal achievement of this person. Therefore, if I don't know the artist well, an emotional analysis of any picture is a difficult task while it's easy to analyze the picture in any scientific or psychological way.

And this is one important point I think. Most people see in a face not more than what they need to see in to survive an encounter. They can't point out asymmetries or mathematical expressions that describe parts of the many shapes in a face. After they were told what they have to look for, they will see it. And sometimes one will only see these things to an extent of being blind for any beauty in a structure.
But all (healthy) humans can see without much training if something is wrong with a human face. Something like to regular teeth or to big/small eyes or a strange skin color or ... can be continued ad infinitum.

Often the teeth are not visible in paintings. If there's a need to show them then they are often depicted not ultra realistic.
For artists without profound knowledge about histology many issues are simply not relevant.
Doing the teeth right but failing on the different skin areas and types won't lead to a better final picture than failing in all areas. lol...

Finally the eyes/teeth can be used to convey something and doing them in a realistic way could interfere with what the artist want to convey; what leads me to the next quote...

Quote - Here's an example of teeth that (at least to me) seem to fit the character. Rather then looking like they were transplanted from elsewhere. http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/5225/5225_1179324324_large.jpg

They look a tad plastic for a realistic character, but the whole character in the image looks a tad jelly/plastic like, so the teeth fit the rest of the character. Also, the lighting and ambient is consistent with scene lighting. Where there is very little light, the teeth are darker. The highlights are bright, but they don't have washed out hotspots, but just a tiny litlle sparkle.

Something my mom always taught me about drawing, painting art in general is that you almost never use pure white or pure blacks in images that are supposed to have a level of reality to them. In reality, things that may appear black or white to us are never pure white or black.

This plant looks great with these teeth because they incorporate important attributes of this specific plant.
What worries me about this picture is the reflection of the pencils lac (or is it like in french "laque"?) that is to dull, the clay that is to reflective for clay and not reflective enough for enameled clay and the paper without surface structure and the light's wavelenght that would cause a bluish reflection on the periodic table on the desk. And so on...
But the teeth look well done for the purpose.
A good start would be if teeth are not always plain white or gray but have the natural gradient that the hydroxyapatite crystallites have by default. The worst job would be to get the around 1100 noteworthy diffraction patterns of this material right. That sounds like long long render sessions...
Maybe 2 refraction patterns, gradient color and a rough, irregular surface would do the job for the beginning.