Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Teeth in renders too bright?

Conniekat8 opened this issue on May 18, 2007 · 33 posts

ThrommArcadia posted Sun, 20 May 2007 at 7:09 AM

Bagginsbill - Thanks, I'll try and stear a little more to the yellow next time I show some teeth.  Your shader is purely awesome, I will definately keep an eye open for when you post it.  You captured the wetness and translucent effect exceptionally, I can't get over them - maybe your best work yet... well that cloth was eye-wateringly good, but I digress...

Conniekat8 - Don't worry about sounding like a killjoy, I would never have posted the link if I had a fragile ego, LOL.

I really think you are right about the gums.  I can dismiss it a bit and say, "well she is undead", but honestly I never really noticed how badly those teeth (and the tongue) stand out against those gums.  Weird.

I will admit this is a much older pic, done in Poser 5 and I didn't use any AO on it.  I think if I tried a pic like this again it might turn out much different.  At the time it was bit of a happy accident as it was meant to be a background character in a different pic that I never did finish to my satisfaction.  (An interesting side-note, this is the reduced-resolution V3)

Anyway, though I usually don't aim for a complete realistic style, I still think that knowing what is more real and trying to employ those aspects even down to the finest detail only add, even when going for something more comic-book or painted in tone.  Heck, the great renaissance painters still paid close attention to the real world around them.

I think another detail that is often missing from teeth (and admittedly, they are seen from a distance, usually) is gradient.  Teeth are rarely one colour right across (unless we are talking all the gals I knew in Hollywood... creepy white!).