Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Is poser held to a higher standard?

kobaltkween opened this issue on May 18, 2007 · 102 posts

pjz99 posted Sun, 20 May 2007 at 5:46 PM

Quote - ... i shouldn't care whether something is a photo manip- if i can't tell, then it's still great. 

That depends highly on where the "great" part came from.  If I see a very sexy, slick image of Blackhearted/Rio's excellent GND2 (probably one of the best-crafted, most unique morphs of V3 that's commercially available) - "wow, amazing morphing, you really did an awesome job getting V3 to look very different from the default!"  Is that a fair credit?  So much of a given scene can be someone else's work, if you basically just plug it all together while changing very little, it may have great artistic merit, but whose art is it really?  One reason I am so anal about giving production credits, I don't want to be praised (or criticised, really) on things I didn't do.  I wish more people were thorough about this when showing their work and asking for feedback.

When somebody doesn't know the ins and outs, and does praise someone for some work they didn't really do, they get very annoyed.  I can understand the reaction you're talking about completely, where someone posts a quickie render to one of the "big boy" app forums and then gets outed, as you say.  If someone crops a photograph of a face in over their rendered image, however skillfully they might blend it in with photo manipulation - I should be praising their photo manip skills rather than the amazing, lifelike face.

Quote - well, if that's true, then i feel once again like you either haven't been reading or you've been seeing what you want to see. 

No, she's talking very specifically about a recent example - basically Operaguy went over to 3dBuzz and tried quite hard to pick a fight, even with people who were polite and accepting.  IMO Connie makes a good point.  I am sure at least a few 3dBuzz regulars read that thread, and came away with the conclusion "man, some of those Poser users are jerks."

My Freebies