Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Is poser held to a higher standard?

kobaltkween opened this issue on May 18, 2007 · 102 posts

Anasta posted Thu, 24 May 2007 at 12:33 PM

Quote - > Quote - Gah! Am I the only one who does this just cuz its fun and I like it?!

Anymore? Probably. :) Wasn't always this way, but now.........it's all about being a merchant, or how many views and accolades you get. If anyone has the audacity to critique a pic honestly....massive shit storm insues. And be careful saying your happy just having fun.....if you're not in with the "gotta sell sell sell" clique you're not fitting in with the program don't ya know lol .God I miss the old days when you could tell it like it is around here. When it was about learning the app and sharing with others. And yes.........having FUN!
One of the reasons I bought a DSLR and stopped rendering :)

I remember those days as well... When I first joined this site, I uploaded some pics had a few people look at them and even got a comment or two on each. I loved that! It wasn't about how many friends I had here, it was about someone actually felt my pics were worth the time to look at and gasp possibly say a few words about. 

I'm not afraid to say I'm just in it for fun, I don't feel the need to sell things. Although, based on this thread, I have started making my own content (skins, backgrounds and still painting hair when I have time :P) but not because I'm looking to break into the art world. I do it because if people sometimes (not always) feel that an image is not as good as another due to it containing nothing but purchased and/or downloaded content, then I'm going to work my hardest on making my images look as best they can with my abilities using what content I'm able to make as well as final composition. 

Someone earlier in this thread had mentioned something along these lines: 

"How is it that you can create a completely original image using content thats made available to the general public and is in hundreds or thousands of other images?"

Its for that reason that most of the things I do make as content, from this point on will not be available for everyone. Call me selfish, but if a girl (like me :P) wants to be original, then she's gotta start somewhere.

As for the comment about the 'super photo-realistic' skins...
I think they're great and I think they make an image really -pop- but its not always necessary. I use Aiko most of the time and she's hardly the most 'realistic' of the models. Since most of those types of textures are made using photos of real people and I don't know anyone who wants to be a 'skin model' and I'm not really into setting up my digi-cam and being one myself, guess that leaves me with my painting skills. I think artists who paint things from scratch should be given just as much praise as those who went 'super-mega photo-realistic with enough creases and wrinkles to make a raisin proud.'

Just my thoughts...

Ana