Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Is poser held to a higher standard?

kobaltkween opened this issue on May 18, 2007 · 102 posts

Anasta posted Fri, 25 May 2007 at 4:41 AM

OK I believe its time for me to be honest here.

When I first joined this site, I only knew about Poser. I come from a virtual community that makes 3D objects and such that is uploaded to a virtual mall and sold for virtual money. I had learned that several of our community creators were using a program called 'Poser' to make this absolutely amazing artwork that everyone wanted to collect. I wanted to be a part of that. 

That was about 5 years ago. 

When I first started using Poser, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing but because I'm extremely stubborn, I stuck with it. I remember uploading to that site some really horrible images and getting crazy amount of love for them because it was a community that I've lived in for years (8 years at this point) but I knew I didn't compare to what others did. That was the point where I joined this site for the freebies and to get critique on what I made. 

I have a friend who once told me, "I upload to renderosity for artistic value but I upload to cybertown for ego." If I was asking for fluffy comments and mucha love I'd just upload all my stuff to cybertown but to be honest, I spend more of my time and attention here because it helps me grow as an artist. 

With that taste of my background, I give you this:

From my personal experience, Poser is an incredible program that can create wonderful artwork that I have fully gone (virtually) broke trying to collect. When it comes right down to the general public... those who don't know as much about CG and 'big-ticket' apps and all the other drama that is involved in creating 3d artwork... they're really only concerned about what it looks like, not how it was made.

This thread, while being very informative, has kinda shut down alot of motivation towards making new things in Poser. By asking specifically if people feel Poser is looked down on by other app users, it makes those of us that still mainly use this app feel 'less than worthy' and is really a depressing subject. 

I know it was not intended that way but think of the newbies. The people who are going to help our artistic community to grow. You were a newbie once, do you remember how it feels?