Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Native American characters and artefacts?

Colin_S opened this issue on May 23, 2007 ยท 20 posts

mickmca posted Sun, 27 May 2007 at 8:30 AM

Check the store for Keihan, at PoserPros, for some good props, including a roach and an Eastern Woodlands war club, I think.

Quote - Coldrake

RenaPD's textures are lovely, but if the project involves realism, they aren't much use. I wish someone would do some American Indian costumes based on the lovely reality of elk-tooth dresses, beadwork, and weaving. Instead the emphasis is on Las Vegas "interpretations" and Harlequin Romance fantasies.

Acadia's photos are contemporary good examples, but for 17th and 18th C skin tones I wouldn't trust them. Most of the folks in the photos are mixed-bloods. Nothing wrong with being amalgamated, but these are not the faces you see in photos of the 19th C, much less what was likely earlier. For skin color, your best bet is Karl Bodmer, George Catlin, and the other artists who tried to faithfully reproduce the colors. They are also a wonderful source of ceremonial costume. Even the apparently romanticized "perfect bodies" that seem so unrealistic in depictions of 16th C East Coast Indians are now thought to be more accurate than we gave them credit for, because Indians were so much healthier than their malnourished and unwashed visitors.

Also keep in mind that "Indians" is a European invention, as useful for identifying physical types as "European" is. Which is, not much. Even a white person would never mistake a typical Algonquian from the great lakes with a Cherokee, Navajo, or Cheyenne; they are as different as typical German, Italian, and Magyar. Edward Curtis' pictures are dramatizations rather than a documentary record, but they give you some idea of the diversity of types.