Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: The Rules for Content Providers (yes, I'm looking at you)

Keith opened this issue on May 11, 2007 · 124 posts

Richabri posted Wed, 30 May 2007 at 1:00 AM

I agree with kuroyume0160 that Poser's habit of grabbing the first texture or obj file of the same name it finds is a serious fault of the program. I've emailed ef about it and suggested that they develop a patch to prevent this from happening. I don't know if this still happens in Poser 7 but Poser 5 will grab the first texture file it needs and Poser 6 adds to that grabbing the first obj file it needs with the same name. What's the point of having fully qualified references in the library files if Poser is free to disregard them when trying to locate the files? This can really cause some weird issues and as a vendor with a lot of products I'm sometimes hard pressed to come up with all kinds of unique names for everyday items :)

I've always listened to customer's suggestions on what they wanted in the product folder structure and have tried to suit. One thing I do that someone complained about though was to use the same texture file in several products. I don't know how to get around this one. It may be true that you have several other products of mine that use this exact same texture but how can any one product know this in advance on install? Each product has to supply all the textures it uses or it will not work.

I think that consistency is what most everyone (including myself) is looking for in this. I customize my library folders a lot but leave the geometry and texture folders alone. So as a vendor I structure my own folders just the way I'd prefer to see all texture and geometry folders structured: vendornameproductname. Easy to find everything by each vendor :)