Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Questions about FaceShop

gagnonrich opened this issue on Jun 08, 2007 · 63 posts

destro75 posted Tue, 12 June 2007 at 4:46 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - My issues with Faceshop Pro are that they are charging way too much money for what is essentially, a BetaTest piece of Software! I find charging your beta testers a full software package price to be at best a slip shode way of getting a decent software package to market at worst, slightly unethical. Just my opinion. I returned it and got my money back. Feel free to let me know when you guy's are completely done beta-testing it.

The product ISN'T in Beta. It's complete software. Now if you had said it was simply something you couldn't learn within what you consider a reasonable amount of time, then fine, but don't call it Beta software. It's giving some people the results they expected.

If you expected to scan a picture from a magazine cover, and in 10 minutes be working with a replica of Jessica Alba, then you paid a few hundred bucks too little for your "Beta."

Definition of BetaTest Software found via Google:
Before a commercial software program is released to the public, it usually goes through a "beta" phase. During this stage, the software is tested for bugs, crashes, errors, inconsistencies, and any other problems. Though beta versions of software used to be made available only to developers, they are now sometimes made available for the general public to test, usually through the software company's Web site. However, because beta software is free, the programs usually expire after a period of time. If you choose to test a beta software program, don't be surprised if it has multiple problems and causes your computer to repeatedly crash. After all, it is the beta version. You can tell if a program is still in beta by checking the program's properties. If there is a "b" in the version number (i.e. Version: 1.2 b3) that means it's a beta version.
- end def

The first commercial release of this software had many serious crash issues which should have been caught in beta but were unleashed on the public to discover and report. Crashes during simple windows operations such as browsing to the directories where textures and OBJ's for import were located caused crashes to desktops. Trying to move points on the meshes didn't work as advertised and caused crashes to desktop. Not restarting the software when starting a new project caused crashes to desktop. Those are just three of the crashes I experienced when I bought it. All three of which should have been caught by real beta testers! 

My opinion was based on the Software's actual inability to perform as expected and had nothing to do with the results I was able to achieve in it. Regardless, it was and remains my opinion of the initial release. I got my money back and I'm happy they're improving it. When it get's out of Beta, I'll be glad to give it another try.  Yes I still call it a Beta piece of software based on Laslo posting that they're still accepting BetaTesters for the software. Feel free to disagree.

Well, I do disagree. I have yet to experience one crash, and I purchased it right after the first public release.

I don't understand the opinion that it does not perform as expected. It does exactly what I expect it to do.

Ripping apart a product in a public forum, simply because it doesn't do something you feel it "should" is where I'm finding issue with your argument. I don't understand where your issue comes from. What does the software not do that is advertised? You begin with an image, you select points on the face, and eventually it transfers that image to the OBJ.

It's not FaceGen, but then, they never claimed it was. FaceGen is hundreds of dollars. FaceShop is 60-80, depending on whether you get it on sale or not. Arguing this is akin, at least to me, to arguing that Poser doesn't do everything 3DS Max does.