Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Questions about FaceShop

gagnonrich opened this issue on Jun 08, 2007 ยท 63 posts

xen posted Tue, 12 June 2007 at 5:12 AM

Quote - > Quote - Excellent! I am happy to hear that improvements are in the works.

Is this a good place to post improvement suggestions?

Yes, yes and yes.
Laslo

Oh good.

The general use model of importing an existing obj head is fantastic.
Much better than having it only work with custom meshes.

As clever as the morphing technology is as clunky is the interface.
Not only that, but buggy too. For example I found that I must select the screenarea after loading the target head in the first step. If I do it in another order it replaces my selection with a random rectangle.

Also after clicking on the left ear makes the other points disappear. Both these bugs happen consistently which seems to indicate that not much care was taken testing the software before shipping. Maybe this is what some of the buyers are objecting too. This is a shame because I would have thought that the user interface was much easier to do and fix than the clever algorithms underneath.

There are several uses for the program, you may want to clone a famous person and you may be interested in the morph, the texture, or both.

I would like to use it for making characters with facial animation (for a game). I would like to import a mesh (free or custom) and then use a live model to make the morph as well as phoneme morphs and expressions.

This is also useful for the general poser world, because each person need unique expression morphs to be realistic, not just the standard ones shipped with model.

I have tried it with an open mouth morph and the results was not too bad already!

Here is a tip for people who want to make clones:
premorph the figure into approximately the right shape before exporting the obj from poser, if FaceShop Pro only has subtle changes to make the distortions are smaller.

Some suggestions:

Calibrating the target head should only happen once, best in wireframe with snapping to vertices.
I.e. you click on all the key vertices and edges of the head mesh and then save it in a FaceShop format, so you never have to do that step for this head again.

What is the purpose of clicking on the ears, eyes etc of the reference picture? If it is just to rotate the target head into the same angle it would be nice to have the option to do that directly (or tweak the suggested angle). Lopsides smiles for example seem to cause the target head to be not at the right angle, it is easier to see by eye which one is right.

Drawing the reference lines on the the picture is essential of course, but not on the target head. Why do we need to outline the target head, the program should know where the outline is already.

I agree that the flow needs to be iterative. Here is a suggestion about this.
You could have any number of tabs on the left window, each showing a different reference picture. (Of the same object but from a different angle).

Clicking a button makes a morph (the step that takes a long time) then you can see the result on the right hand window and blend the morphs and textures from the other tabs on the left, by facial feature (so you can dial 70% of the nose of tab1 and 50% of the eyes in tab2 etc) Moving the sliders is wysiwyg because the expensive morphing step is already done.

If the results for one tab are distorted, you can go back and move the control points a bit and recalculate.

Hope this is useful. Good luck.