Forum: Bryce

Subject: OT: Interesting Argument About Global Warming

Analog-X64 opened this issue on Jun 13, 2007 · 52 posts

PJF posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 2:40 PM

Dann-O wrote:
"watching people flail around with their arguments of the lack of Global woarming is almost amusing. "

Luckily, the humour quotient for the thread is rescued by your spectacularly greenhouse-irrelevant car-in-garage experiment (though I suppose it might be helpful for anyone feeling suicidal over fears of the woarming - and don't worry, carbon monoxide isn't covered by the Kyoto treaty).

"Greenhouse gases are bad for you."

The mean surface temperature of the Earth would be at about -18 °C if the gases in the atmosphere had no "greenhouse effect". Have you tried typing at -18 °C? You'd have to leave the car running and insulate the garage.

The most significant atmospheric greenhouse constituent (due to abundance) is di-hydrogen monoxide, sometimes known as "water". In the form of vapour and clouds, water is responsible for 90% of our lovely, cosy greenhouse effect.

If you're calling water "bad" I might have to question your political leanings. Water is the source of all life. Seven-tenths of the earth's surface is water. Why, do you realize that 70% of you is water? And as human beings, you and I need fresh, pure water to replenish our precious bodily fluids. What do you drink? Vodka? Are you some kind of Commie?

The next most significant freeze-stopping constituent is carbon dioxide. This trace gas (just 0.038%) is an essential part of the global food chain. Plants and ecosystems love it so much that even the tiny increase that industry has added to the air is thought to have increased agricultural production by 15%, saving millions from starvation and large areas of the natural environment from having to be ploughed up. It's really nasty stuff. 

"I do know pollution is bad clean air is good."

In an effort to explain the lack of their predicted warmening, warmenisers have offered the excuse of high levels of particulate and aerosol pollutants as causing a compensating cooling. So Dann-O, your participation in the dirtiest economy in the world is saving the planet from melting. Good things can come from pollution.

Fancy a tab?