Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: A Name Too Far

Morgano opened this issue on Jun 15, 2007 · 64 posts

XENOPHONZ posted Mon, 18 June 2007 at 9:57 PM

Oh.....there's lots to be said about the American Civil War -- among other things: that England and other European powers at the time tended to favor the Confederacy -- to which they paid at least lip service.  And covertly supplied & traded with.

The history of the American Civil War is long and complicated.  Far more so than I have anything like the time to get into now.

There were fine men around in those days -- on both sides.  Men who had a sense of personal honor and duty which is utterly incomprehensible to the early 21st century mind.  There were also vile men on both sides.  People are human, and evil happens.

A sense of history can provide a perspective on things: like where we are going today.  I, for one, find our current direction to be a compass bearing that isn't good.  And the so-called 'answers' which some are offering to solve the deep & serious problems which surround us will be about as effective as Douglas'es (Lincoln's debate opponent) belief that the Union could continue on forever half-slave, and half-free.

Most Americans aren't particularly bothered by the rampant anti-Americanism which is so commonly found on display in today's Europe.  It's not a subject that most people over here meditate on as they go about their daily American lives.  In fact: it never even enters their minds.  About like statistics for the average annual rainfall levels in Lyons.

Interesting that the French (of all people) have just elected a pro-American leader.

Frankly, I'm not nearly so bothered by European anti-Americanism as I am by the rise of European anti-semitism...........which is an issue that's always been bubbling under the surface over there: and occasionally erupting.  I fear another such eruption.

.......a sense of history.

BTW -- I happen to be an admirer of English history, English traditions, and of the English nation.

Perhaps we'll talk about the Civil War sometime.  The English Civil War or The American Civil War -- or both.  Take your pick.

Something To Do At 3:00AM