Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Want critiques?

KarenJ opened this issue on Mar 21, 2007 · 1211 posts

Conniekat8 posted Tue, 10 July 2007 at 1:01 PM

I've made myself clear in the past with a preference for the foprum - I think.
I think it will work pretty well.

There's another thing that I've observed, that seems to be more specific to the galleries then forms... When posting in a forum, I don't think lot of people have the expectation opf a 'whole critique group' chiming in and counting responses.

Seems that in galleries there is much greater expectations of getting comments then one would have in the forum.

I can tell you, I've looked at many more images then I have commented on, simply because pretty often I have a hard time coming up with something to say, without the artist seeking specific input. Each one of us has projects and times issues too. I hate seeing good people leave critique group because someone has made them feel they're not participating enough, and they feel like they're falling back on their obligations, or being accused of being a part of some sort of a clique.

Good valuable critique takes time and effort, and often it takes some getting to know the artist to offer them something valuable. Not every preson willing or able to critique will be able to offer it evenly to everyone else in the group. Folks, that's to be expected, and a normal course of things. Also, when those critiquing get feedback on what they've said, it helps them continue, or offer sopmething more valuable.

Another thing that makes it hard to offer valuable critique is with people whom post one, or eevn more images per day, often with same flaws over and over and over... Sometimes critiqie that is given addresses item that may take time and practice to refine. So, when there's no feedback from the artist, and image per day with identical flaws continue, guess what, critiquing of those will go on the back burner, and the time will get rationed to thoise whon the critiquer notices is actually responding and taking it in.

For one, I think that some peoples expectation of getting a high number of critiquinbg comments upon joining the group needs to be dispelled, and actual seeking critique process should be more active process. More active then uploading an image-a-day or there abouts and expecting people will come flocking with great advice.

What Victoria Lee has done recently is an excellent example of avtive critique seeking, and also of getting really good suggestions by a number of people. 
This is a good exercise not only for herself, but those critiquing and for those following the evolution of the image. There's a lot that can be learned from the process. Often people post links to other learning materials, and sometimes new ideas are spawned. One is developing in art theory forum right now, about small workshops. Stemming out evaluating Victoria Lee's image.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support