Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: I want to get my CPU up, advices?

vincebagna opened this issue on Mar 31, 2007 · 68 posts

pjz99 posted Tue, 31 July 2007 at 8:33 AM

When you buy any package deal, the vendor is going to sneak in whatever profit they can, especially on things like this.  It is a little risky to assemble all the pieces yourself, but it's really much easier than it ever used to be.  The only really scary bit is usually putting the CPU fan on top of the CPU once it is installed, otherwise it's all very low-effort stuff.  All the plugs only fit one way, and are very hard to plug in backwards.  

The CPU itself is very safe to install, with a Socket 775 processor (like the Q6600) - it does not even have any pins on it, it's a completely flat surface with nothing you can easily break.  The chip has slots cut into it so that it is very difficult to install at the wrong angle.  It is all about as complicated as putting Lego pieces together.  Only the fans require some muscle and some stress, because the CPU fan is under a lot of tension and pressure to keep the heat sink surface squeezed up very tight atainst the CPU.

You can save yourself a lot of money just finding the lowest price for the parts you want from any vendor, and assembling the PC yourself.  You can also be certain that no cheap substitutes are slipped into your dream computer, as can often happen with a package dea.  Something for you to consider, anyhow.

If you have any local computer nerd frends you can very likely get some help assembling it and installing all the operating system and driver software.

My Freebies