Forum: Carrara

Subject: Poser 7 support?

mickmca opened this issue on Aug 06, 2007 ยท 14 posts

hdaggers posted Tue, 07 August 2007 at 11:46 AM

It really seems there are a few Poser users who aren't thrilled with P7 and not upgrading. I'm not trying to be propagandist about something I know little about, and of course some people are compulsive upgraders but the concensus seems to be P6 was a big step and P7 not so much (I use P5 which was free and IMHO worth it ;) )

Most 3rd-party content developers are continuing to retro-support all the way back to P4, and that has probably enabled the idea that a Poser upgrade is optional. Seeing as how there has never really been a rival to Poser before, I feel development has stalled yet it's been the de facto utility. New features seem to be incorporating functions of other old apps that DAZ bought long ago (talkdesigner-mimic).... Poser played defensively when they had the lead.

I certainly didn't expect Carrara6 to be positioned as Daz's Poser-killer. That was a complete surprise! (Although in retrospect it seems rather obvious.) I guess I was expecting Transposer3 and import with Studio (with Studio having the new C-look option working like a plugin).... Every minute I'm in Poser (and yeah, it's an old free version that crashes a lot) I wish I was back in Carara.

It's not like I want to work in Poser, I just want to use the Poser content. Transposer has been a good transition that opened up the PO$ER mall for me, but it just felt like a foot-in-the-door, not real access. I'm glad I came late and reluctantly to Poser before I invested in an upgrade. I only just (last night) hit the 2-figure morph-replication issue, and my first thought was "WHEN is C6 coming out..?" Dumping poser won't be too difficult.

Sorry to take this further off-topic.
holly