Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Modelling clothes for Poser7 figures

drkfetyshnyghts opened this issue on Aug 07, 2007 · 14 posts

Angelouscuitry posted Wed, 08 August 2007 at 9:33 AM

I hope I'm not about to go on, here, about photoshop; when you guys do'nt even like the idea.  Your responses kinda have me baffled, but mayber that's how I made you feel.  So, let's reiterate.

All of the Female(V3) clothing in all of these links, and through my gallery, is actually her skin(surface.)  There is no additional Geometry from clothing, all is done from the Material Room(even the Matmatic Chainmail stuff,) with V3's "Skin..." Material Zones, and sets of Black and White Transparency/Displacemnt Maps that I made in Photoshop.  I ca'nt just post theMaps, becasue I may like to sell these, but with enough interest Id wet your whistle.

Cothing is a really tough hurdle; be it with additional geometry, or from a Figures UV Map.  With an endless possibility of body shapes you almost always need to create or recreate an outfit just suit(no pun intended) your character very well.

This was especially true for my V3 figure.  I used alot of many Musle morphs that most other Creators hardly use at all.  Then I used a lot of magnets that hardly anybody has(Wymmaster's.)  And then I added several of my own magents  I spent so much time detailing her body that trying on different vendors clothes was a let down.  EIther the clothes did'nt fit, because there was always Poke; or the clothes then hid all of the work I'd done to her Body.

The solution wasto develop a skin tight clothing set, that could be manipulated with Bump and Dissplacement, and Materials..  Basically, to get started; I needed to Layer V3's UV Map, over her skin texture, make it somewhat Transparent, and then start painting on her texture map..

This works nice, but then it has limits; I could'nt switch the skin texture if I painted directly on it, and if the clothing was painted on in color using my efforts to drive the DIssplacement and/or Bump, would'nt fly.

So, what I did was create a third Photoshop Layer, between the UV, and Map.  On this layer I painted my clothes on, in white, and filled the rest in with black.  This made a function V3 Transparency, and DIssplacement Maps.

2ndSKin.exe is a program that you can load a figure into, and what it will do is export an almost exact duplicate of your figure(with material zone, joints etc) except that the new figure is a skin's thickness larger.  The idea is to Conform this new figure over your original figure, then give it a fabric material, apply the the Transparency Map you'd Map, and then plug that map into the DIssplacement node s well.

2nd SKin is really nice, but then I realized this layering of skins could be done right in the Material room, with the Blender node(See my first link)

My second link was just anotehr outfit I made with Photoshop, and the Material Room.

The third link....I'd asked bagginsbill(The author of Matmatic) if he had a chainmail script(matmatic material,) so I could make an Extra Halos line of clothing for my Angel.  After he wrote the script, and then I tweaked the rings to my Size, and thicknes; I just inserted my V3 Transparency nodes between his Chanmail Material Nodes, and the PoserSurface node of my V3, with the technique of my first link. Then the Transparency Map stoped the ChainmailMaterial from covering her whole body, and made it just over the areas I wanted clothed.

Just like Geometry Based Clothes, UV based clothes do'nt always fit other characters, of the same figure.  If you look in my second link you'll see the same Texture, and Transparency Maps applied to two different V3s.  THe less endowed V3 is the figure I made the suit for(A client's.)  This is why it looks to fit her a little better, than when I applied it to my V3.

So either way you're looking a recreation, but at least from Photoshop you're never covering anything up!

For example:

You're not limited to just one Transparency Map, mind you.  For this image I'd prepared 2; one for a White Lace material, and then another for the Gold Trim.  But just because I stopped at two Transparency Maps does'nt mean there is any limit; you can have as many sections of a Figure's skin squared off, and with a seperate Material/Dissplacement as you want!