Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser Pro

thefixer opened this issue on Aug 07, 2007 ยท 430 posts

Penguinisto posted Mon, 13 August 2007 at 9:22 AM

Quote - Comparing Poser in any incarnation and Cararra is apples and kumquats; one is a figure manipulating, animating and rendering app, the other is a modelling program with plug-in support for dynamics.

Small point of correction: Carrara can model, yes, but its renderer, even way back in v.1.1, was top-notch, and far surpasses most of them at the same price. It also had dynamic Hair (starting with Anything Grows), dynamic lighting (Anything Glows), some hella tight Shader action, and much, much more... long before Poser 5 arrived. Back in the day it couldn't manipulate figures... w/ D|S, it can, and have them fully rigged (a skeletal rig makes a huge diff when it comes to bending joints, trust me). > Quote - DAZ may indeed try and phase out Poser support....to be followed shortly by DAZ going out of business. They make their money on =content=.....and the king of content use is still Poser.

Currently, this is true. 5 years from now? Who knows? > Quote - Bryce is creaky, and I doubt turning a profit unless they got if for next to nothing (which is possible).

They pretty much did. Corel was about to make Bryce into abandonware. > Quote - Cararra's community is considerably smaller than Poser's.

Currently, yes. But over time... > Quote - The 'DS is FWEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!' screed only holds until you start to want or need those expensive additions to come close to what a single app (or a pair of them) can produce.

Expensive in what way? I can get what plugins I want for it for pretty much the same prices as much of the stuff in the RMP. Carrara Pro itself costs roughly the same as Poser, IIRC. Seen from that angle, it's a very fair match, money-wise. > Quote - Sure, DAZ started DS and collecting endangered apps as a hedge against Poser going Tango Uniform. Which is why eF has gotten into the content creation business....so that =their= eggs don't depend on the kindness of DAZ.

True. OTOH, methinks EF originally wanted Poser to go with Shade. > Quote - So we'll see what P7Pro is made of.....it might just bury DS, you know....

Two different markets there. P7Pro is aiming for the land of Vue d'Esprit and the pro-am market. D|S is aiming for the newbies and serves as a stepping-stone for Carrara, which already stands in the pro-am market. ;) /P