Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser Pro

thefixer opened this issue on Aug 07, 2007 · 430 posts

kuroyume0161 posted Mon, 13 August 2007 at 9:37 AM

The big issues here with COLLADA are the same for every other 'live Poser content' support in other 3D apps: joint deformations and feature support.  No amount of exquisite vertex mapping will recreate Poser's joint deformation system.  And since dial values are set up to work with dial values (for master-slave control and deformations), there must be that intervening layer of 'Poser-ness' to truly emulate Poser figures in other applications.

That doesn't mean that COLLADA won't be an excellent way to use Poser figures in other apps if you don't mind the differences and lost features.  All depends on your goals.  With interPoser Pro, the goal was to emulate Poser features as best as possible - admittedly still far from that.  This isn't the most sane approach, believe me. :)  You still deal with the high polygon counts, the limitations of Poser's joint system (gimbal lock, for instance), and throw in the disparaties between the real thing and the emulation due to lack of definitive implementaiton information.

COLLADA does indeed promise bringing rigging and morph support into applications that have that import option.  Conforming and master-slave control seem less likely.  Since CL licensed Pixels3D's shader node material system, there have been few receiving applications that even bother to support it.  I can't, D|S can't, BodyStudio doesn't.  There might be one or two out there that do it because the app's material system is similar enough to reconstruct such a system - otherwise one needs to build a node system to maintain the semblence to the original.  There is nothing minor to that.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone