Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser Pro

thefixer opened this issue on Aug 07, 2007 · 430 posts

kuroyume0161 posted Mon, 13 August 2007 at 3:01 PM

I can't make any comparisons between Carrara 6's Poser support and that of my plugin in Cinema 4D.  C5 native Poser import is not too bad, but it does lack and fall down in areas - textures are one main gripe, no magnets.  My plugin lacks in areas as well - magnets, point at, custom/alternate geometry.  There is no real need for Poser dynamic hair and cloth support as it can be done much better and faster with Hair and Clothilde - but this does require the Hair and MOCCA modules.  Poser dynamic cloth props can be imported and used with Clothilde.  Hair would need a systemic translation between Poser's and C4D's.

No lip synching control - wow, you're talking about features that, for me, could be a couple years in the future. :)  Still reaching for full P4 level support - with no help from the guys who could make this easier (ef, DAZ, et al).

The same rules for a lot of figures in a scene applies to all systems: how big is the figure in memory and how much memory.  Emulating Poser features costs memory, but the footprint is still reasonable.  The main problem is undos.  Note that Poser 7 is the first version to introduce multiple undos - and you can see why you don't want to have a large number of undos with 2 V4.1's in a scene! ;)  My problem with undos in C4D is that I have no real control over their undo system which makes for less ability in that area.

It may not be true anymore since Advanced Render hasn't been thoroughly updated for some time, but C4D's renderer was considered one of the fastest a couple years back.  Still much faster than Poser and probably faster than Carrara - for the quality.  Doing side-by-side comparisons would be the only way to know - and finding comparable settings would be tough.

I don't remember if Carrara supported 'dials' for things like morphs and master-slave controls and I'm not certain of its joint system (are they emulating Poser's, just using their own, or is it comparable to Poser's?).

Around interPoser Pro v2, I will be making a low-level support change to allow for custom/alternate geometry.  I'll be doing it then as this will assuredly break current support but will allow both v1 and v2 to coexist.  Not certain if I want to maintain both paradigms in the same version.  It will involve using the plugin joints (Poser actors) to store the body part geometry and feed it into the stock Polygon object.  Unlike previous solution ideas, this will only need to update the Polygon object's mesh when switching alternate geometry and possibly when showing/hiding body parts (as it is not possible in C4D rendering to hide polygons).

Robert

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone