Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: OT somewhat: Poser --> Major 3D App, XSI earthquake!

operaguy opened this issue on Aug 18, 2007 · 81 posts

maxxxmodelz posted Mon, 20 August 2007 at 10:01 AM

Yeah, don't forget the MR integration with Max is pretty solid, and really there is no need to have Vray, unless you want the extra speed for GI or perhaps Occlusion.  The only reason I'm using Vray is because I bought it before my version of Max had the Mental Ray renderer included in the package, and I get the updates at no additional cost.  Well, plus Vray is extremely easy to use in Max, and very very fast.  I don't think anyone will argue different.  Especially at GI, and even the ambient occlusion in 1.5 seems much faster than I ever was able to get out of Mental Ray, but I don't claim to know all the tricks and scripting that a TD would know, so I'm probably not getting the full benefits of all that from MR.  I did work on a commercial project with a studio here locally that used MR exclusively in their pipeline, and I learned a lot about Mental Ray that way, but nothing I would be able to apply here with my personal works.

I also think Vray has a lot more community support.  I can't tell you just how much I've learned in their forums, and how many great materials that are out there for it.  Free of charge.

I really like the sound of that Cinema/Poser plugin though.  I wish 3dsmax had something like that which would be reliable.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.