Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser Pro

thefixer opened this issue on Aug 07, 2007 · 430 posts

pjz99 posted Wed, 22 August 2007 at 5:33 PM

Quote - After all, there is significant lack of work evidenced in these areas; Max, XSI and Cinema, Carrara, Vue, Animation:Master artists do NOTE EVEN ATTEMPT to do major work in this arena.

Perhaps you've been ignoring the things several people have been telling you, me included, but:  That is a function of the content - specifically, rigged, customizable human figures.  Nothing whatsoever to do with render quality.  I had thought we'd already discussed this and you had acknowledged this.  When you work in a non-Poser app, you have the option of modeling and rigging and texturing a figure from scratch, or buying a very limited figure from TurboSquid - basically Masha is the only commercially available human figure with any morph targets built in for expressions, and only 10 of those, and since her hands are only minimally posed in the promo images I'd expect they're not rigged all that well by the standards we have in Poser-land.  And by the way I hope you like her body just the way it is, because if you don't, you have to do some rather careful modeling and probably adjust the rig to make very significant changes.

Or you can convert Poser content in some fashion into one of these other apps, which is problematic for a variety of reasons, and which is why Wolf359 and I have been nudging you towards C4D interPoser Pro; because it does a pretty good conversion into a C4D asset that is poseable, has usable morph dials, and the like.  This is difficult and time consuming even so, and can be a daunting task for the stereotypical Poser gallery comment-monger, which imo is much of the reason that few gallery comment-mongers do it.

Or you can stick with Poser and use it for rendering, and postwork out the thick black polygon lines that sometimes appear when using AO, or play around with making large arrays of point lights + blurred shadows to try to avoid using depthmapped shadows, or try to smudge out sharp poly creases on your dynamic cloth (hope it isn't textured).

I'll add that the reason I've only shown you one render of mine is that it's taken several weeks for me to just get materials looking the way I think they ought to; few people had detailed, helpful information on this and much of it was done by trial and error.  It was discouraging, difficult, time-consuming, and I still think it needs some improvement.  I also do not have hair looking all that much like hair just yet, and I've committed to getting away from polygon hair - so that is taking time to learn to do well also.  Lighting is fundamentally different - area lights, area shadows, GI are all powerful and attractive features that do very cool things, but it takes time to learn how to use them.  Not quite like popping in somebody else's RDNA canned lights like many gallery people seem to do.

My Freebies