Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: postwork abuse

dogor opened this issue on Aug 23, 2007 · 62 posts

kalon posted Fri, 24 August 2007 at 8:14 PM

Quote - Altering the pictures used in photographic journalism frightens me. I believe that this is truely deceptive. If it is not already here, the time will come when we will not be able to believe our eyes (when it comes to picture and video "evidence"). There are already many well publicized incidents of retouched or altered photographs used to falsely enhance news stories. What will happen when even experts can no longer tell that a picture has been "touched up?"

Quote - What happens to the human mind when it is surrounded by lures and lies on a constant daily basis. Can we live with our guard up every minute? Is it healthy looking at every add and photo in a magazine knowing within ourselves that it only looks that good because they made it look better than it really is. It's not a cartoon picture. It's a perfect looking juicy burger with a super model taking a bite or a huge billboard sign with a bunch of shrimp on the barbie. Nobody can hide. I've been fooled a time or two myself by these advertisements. Everybody gets hungry. : )

Interesting points and true. I think it means we've come full circle and the idea of the camera capturing the truth is caput. We're now back to all visuals being artistic interpretations. The danger is that it's going to take a while for that to sink into the collective societal conciousness.

And as for the angel of perfection, I'm not buying it... Unless this angel appears differently to every person. Because despite advertising efforts to program us, people still tend to have their own notion of ideal beauty. There are, of course, commonalities -- can't think offhand of any society that worships the pimple, but, hey, I may have missed that one.

kalonart.com