Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: OT Leaving Poser...FOREVER!!!!

wolf359 opened this issue on Sep 02, 2007 · 115 posts

Letterworks posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 12:14 AM

Hey, just to chime in here. I think most of the people that say with C6Pro you don;t need Poser anymore haven;t really tried the program. I LIKE Carrara, have done all of my major modeling in it since version 3.0, but it won;t replace Poser on it own!  However it's a great partner program with poser, and the new features have bumped that inter-usability up (IMHO) more than a little.

Like most major 3D packages, Carrara has it's own internal rigging system and morphing system. Now it has it's own dynamic hair. I hope to see dynamic cloth in the near future (someone will make a plug-in then in the next version it will come standard). As with other software these functions ARE NOT the same as Posers functions, however DAZ has gotten them to be fairly interchangable, much more than you find with software like Lightwave, or Studio Max, can;t speak for C4D as that seems to have a fairly reasonable ADD ON plug in to use Poser stuff.

If your an artist, you may or maynot find Carrara to be of use for you. You can directly import about 75-80% of Poser content directly into Carrara and operate it as you would in Poser (maybe not as easily, but then again Carrara ISN'T Poser). Carrara has a very hefty render engine, that is fast and produces some VERY good renders, but again it's not Poser so you';ll need to learn some of it's specific functions inorder to get the best out of it.

For content creators well, you can't rig poser figures directly in Carrara, but you can bring in a figure, model cloting for that figure, pose the figure and check the fits, and even "dial" in morphs for th figure and adjust the clothing to fit the morphed figure, all of this makes it a really nice package to create content in. I can;t think of any other package out there that lets you do all of thie to POSER content.

So the bottom line is if you're looking for a Poser REPLACEMENT that will use Poser content, than Carrara isn;t it, I doubt you'll find a 100% replacement. BUT if you're looking for a tool to work WITH Poser content then I can highly recommend Carrara 6. And who know, you may find that the system in Carrara itself can be used to make some really nice 100% Carrara content renders..

mike