Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: OT Leaving Poser...FOREVER!!!!

wolf359 opened this issue on Sep 02, 2007 ยท 115 posts

Penguinisto posted Mon, 03 September 2007 at 3:09 PM

Quote - Even starting from scratch, imo there's no good commercial alternative to the typical Poser figure when working with one of the bigger apps.

Agreed - even most professionals (at least the ones around the CG slave pits I know of) will squitch in a Poser figure here and there for quick but high-end-looking installations. (but then, most have already pre-rigged 'em themselves into 3DS Max, Maya, etc - clothing/morphing a figure in Poser or D|S, then exporting the whole shebang and adding the pre-built skeleton to it). > Quote - Does it run on Linux?

The first competent version to do it will get my money and even help/efforts towards improvements... and I don't particularly care if EF, DAZ, or whomever is the one to do it. You see, I've already got AC3D for modeling on my install of Fedora Core 7, Blender for the really heavy stuff, and a whole wad of programming toys and tools to customize whatever else I need to tack on. My Mac is still running strong. That said, I'm slowly feeling the itch to upgrade and I decided not to shell out $2500+ on a new one (esp. if I can shell out only 1/3 of that on a homebuild box and plonk in Ubuntu or Fedora Core instead). I know there's OSX x86 out there, and folks have easily gotten OSX to run on non-apple hardware, but IMHO that involves more effort and time than I'm willing to push out nowadays - time/work that can be spent on things like artwork. And no... we ain't doing Windows if we can avoid it. The various treadmills there (A/V, DLL Hell, bloat, anti-spyware, etc) are too much of a drain to a guy who is more comfortable at a bash or ksh prompt than in some resource-sucking "Aero" GUI. /P