Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: OT Leaving Poser...FOREVER!!!!

wolf359 opened this issue on Sep 02, 2007 · 115 posts

XENOPHONZ posted Wed, 05 September 2007 at 5:16 PM

Quote - So, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss an OS there...

Oh.....I wouldn't dream of dismissing Linux.  It clearly has it's place in the current computing environment -- a place that's mostly reserved for pros and for corporations -- and for IT types.

But I'll also not hesitate to observe that desktop Linux is nowhere near Windows numbers, user-base wise.  The numbers just aren't there.  And your workaday 3D types aren't likely to all start switching, pell-mell, over to desktop Linux anytime soon.  Plus there's the added consideration that Linux developers probably aren't even thinking about 3D users, for the most part.  3D is likely a very, very tiny portion of the overall Linux market.

I have no doubt that Linux is the stable, secure, wonderful OS that it's loyal aficionados (mostly IT types) claim that it is.  I used to use Unix back in the day, and I've used Linux redhat on a server for data backups in the past, too.  So I've touched it.  But I haven't noticed a general run on Linux coming from anywhere except in the room with the raised floors & circulating air vents in the tiles.  I don't doubt that there are graphics companies which are going that way -- but I seriously tend to doubt that the average freelancer is.

The problem with an OS like Linux is that it requires the user to know something.  It isn't plug 'n play.  Mac does that better -- and so does Windows (for the most part).

I've known Linux 'experts' who had to hire a Linux EXPERT to get something to work for them.  Which is good for the EXPERT, I suppose.  But it can be a problem for the 'expert'.

Something To Do At 3:00AM