Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: OT Leaving Poser...FOREVER!!!!

wolf359 opened this issue on Sep 02, 2007 · 115 posts

XENOPHONZ posted Wed, 05 September 2007 at 10:58 PM

I think that Peng's point was more along the lines of a free application beating out the more costly pro apps for distribution numbers.  Not unusual, for something that's free.  I'd be curious to know if the number of active Blender users is anything near the number of downloaders -- kind of like Poser freestuff downloads.  I suspect that many people download, but never actually use.

In any case, Linux is an OS with a predominantly specialized user base at the moment.  It's a chancy thing to attempt to get Windows apps to work under Linux.  You might or you might not be able to do so successfully.  That fact alone is probably enough to keep most people away from Linux for the time being.  As for what the future holds........on this score: I don't know.  Vista hasn't exactly taken the computing world by storm -- yet.  But if Microsoft makes their new flagship OS more backwards-compatible, then they will have solved around 90% of their current problems.

BTW - that's also an issue to keep in mind for those who occasionally insist that e-frontier needs to create a whole new version of Poser with re-written, new technology from the ground up.  The loss of the use of substantial reams of existing Poser content wouldn't be received gladly by many in the Poser community.  Even if the sacrifice meant a fantastic new program.

Something To Do At 3:00AM