Forum: Vue

Subject: WIP: German Free Energy Device

chippwalters opened this issue on Sep 07, 2007 ยท 52 posts

chippwalters posted Sat, 08 September 2007 at 3:21 PM

Here's the latest. I think the model is done now and I can start applying textures.

LMcLean, Yes, Walther and Peggy are correct. I'm using 16-bit TIF files which can be loaded into Vue on a terrain. One of the cool things about them is I can work with them in Pshop with layers, save them and the layer infor stays intact. Then when I open in Vue, it reads them fine...layers and all. This is a tremendous workflow saver. I just tweak a layer in Pshop, save, then reload the TIF in Vue. No 'exporting' necessary.

Dave, a 'Free Energy' device is a ficticious perpetual motion machine. The idea is somehow friction is overcome and once this thing starts spinning, it will spin forever. So, in the book, the Germans created it from some alien technology and it is discovered 70 years later...still spinning.

About the changes from last WIP. I used VueTools to create the smaller device on the right, then added a single terrain to it for the openings. then created another VueTools cylinder with radius to get the glass bowl. The mounting brackets for the larger device are actually part of the original terrain which I posted above. I ended up making it larger. I quickly modeled a few bolts and placed them around. I again used VueTools to radius the cubes I used before for the concrete floor stand.

I'm next on to mapping and I'll start with an Ambient Occlusion rendered from TOP view (smaller version below) to help drive the 'dirt and grime.' I explain more as I go. Texture mapping this is done pretty much the way Stefan-Morrell does in his Hard Surfaces Textures tutorial.