Forum: Freestuff

Subject: Q about sharecg

judee3d opened this issue on Sep 25, 2007 · 39 posts

judee3d posted Wed, 26 September 2007 at 3:04 AM

Quote - Glad to help out. As one of the contributors there I too hope they fix it before it flounders. It may not be a huge income, but on my limited income, every little bit helps. I've made more in three months there with giving away my stuff than I made from 6 months of being a merchant with some of the same items.

And wouldn't you be willing to give up part of that income in order to keep the place stable running smoothly? I think that is the point I'm trying to make.

It's all good that they share the proceeds with the people who upload the freebies - but I can't help but wonder if they are being overly generous in a desire to get people in and uploading. The point is, I feel they should take whatever funds are needed for upgrades, updates, etc, and then divide the rest, only after the site maintenance has been completed.

Maybe they do this already - to a degree. But they must not hesitate to continue adding bandwidth, etc, for fear that the members will balk at less income. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems the principle that this whole thing was based on is that of sharing. Well, sharing the benefits is good, but there must also be a sharing of costs needed to get the place up to par. If that means a little less income on occasion so that updates can be made, well, that should be an expected part of the whole concept.

I'm not looking into it to make money  though of course, the thought of getting some small portion of the ad money is rather pleasant. But more than anything, I would like a stable place to keep my freebies while I am working on my site - and if all goes well, perhaps I will keep them there rather than use up the bandwidth at my site. Rather than pay (for extra bandwidth) to give stuff away, I can give it freely and make even more without worrying about site limits, etc.

But if it doesn't work smoothly, there is no point. At the moment, I have few enough freebies that my site can handle it - I just want to be able to make more.

We'll see how it goes. I'll try again today, maybe I'll get some stuff uploaded. :)

Wish me luck!
judee