Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: What happened to Odd Ditty Foundary?

Acadia opened this issue on Sep 25, 2007 · 39 posts

Gareee posted Fri, 28 September 2007 at 8:28 AM

Antonia: if you can hit with something really popular, its worthwhile, but if its something of a specialty item, you might not even make minimum wage creating it.

Something that always springs to mind, is dark Whisper, a VERY popular "successful" contnet creator's comments:

He no longer persued the heavies type figures, because sales numbers dwindled down with each successive release.

Sal A. Manda was voted the most popular toon figure in his poll, yet was also one of the lowest unit selling figured he'd done.

Ugh! was made free after a year's release. Why? He only sold a total of 50 units!

Now you figure DW probably spent 2-3 full time weeks creating Ugh!. So let's say 100 hours.

Ugh sold for $10, and as on sale for $8 I believe.. and 1/2 of that monmey went to RDNA, so he made maybe $4 on each sale.
So DW made about $200 on Ugh!, for two and a half week's work!

So he made somewhere between $2 and $2.50 and HOUR creating Ugh!

There's this huge "sales" mentality going on in th eposerverse.. Daz has been running back to back "Quick, buy NOW!" sales for months now, with no end in sight. (They have a month long PC club celebration coming up next month.)

Daz makes it's money based on volume. PAs (or content creators) have FAR fewer items available for slae, so they have to make thier money up based on volume AND profitabiliy. 

In the above example, if DW had been making $15 yer unit himself, Ugh! would have been worthwhile creating. As it came out though, the volume numbers didn't balance out low profit numbers, so the product no longer even became worthwhile creating.

I've had a few stinkers myself. Sal Adventurers, and the Funcat sets both have slod less then 50 units in a year's time, so that means probably a month or more's work was done for free or for ungodly low wages.

Imagine loosing an entire month's paycheck. its a little liek gambling.. yes, you COULD hit with something very popular, but you could also release a total dud.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.