Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Minor Tutorial...

Kaji opened this issue on Oct 06, 2007 · 32 posts

bagginsbill posted Sun, 07 October 2007 at 6:02 AM

Sorry, that came out all wrong. I didn't make myself clear. I was not suggesting you need to change the tutorial for experts. It is because it is addressing novice shader use that I thought it was strange.

You said you were going to finish the tutorial by showing how to use shaders in Poser, right? That's when the whole thing struck me as odd. In the tutorial you showed one way of changing the entire texture's tone, using Photoshop. You also addressed the need to do the identical thing to the head file (after the body file) by "before you do anything else" open the head file and apply the adjustment, right? Because the settings might change if they do other stuff, right? And if the user didn't like the result they'd go back to photoshop, change the body a different way, change the head, and test again.

This is seems perfectly reasonable if you were NOT going to use a shader, but rather stick to the Basic P4-style material room and just attach the image. Am I making sense?

But if you're going to take the shader approach, then I would think that simply showing them how one node, the HSV node, would avoid the trip to Photoshop altogether would be very enlightening and a lot less work. Plus, if you're really talking about CG beginners, I would not expect them to have such an expensive tool as Photoshop. Something like Photoshop, because of cost and complexity, is clearly a pro tool and beginners seem less likely to have it.

Now if you were demonstrating actual features as you later mentioned, such as tattoos and so on, clearly you have to go somewhere and draw them.

I meant no offense, sorry I sounded snarky. I keep finding less and less time to post, so I post quick. Whenever I do that, without wordsmithing, whatever was in my head comes out raw. I'm an engineer not an artist.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)