Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: semi-OT - What others are saying about Vista elsewhere

XENOPHONZ opened this issue on Oct 07, 2007 · 71 posts

XENOPHONZ posted Mon, 08 October 2007 at 12:59 PM

Quote - A lot of us have invested money in software that is Windows only. That makes it hard to switch. Also, Apple is charging a premium for the same hardware I can buy for less. Since the OS is chip locked, that turns me off to MacOS. Windows is like the Hotel California ;)

That's the rub.  Bringing down Windows and Microsoft is the cherished dream of many a cyber-rebel -- but in real life, the Evil Empire can't be defeated in a 2-hour format.  It would be a process of years -- if it ever happened at all.

I haven't gone with Mac -- as excellent of a system as it is -- for a number of reasons.  Overpricing (IMO) being one reason -- but not the primary one.  The primary one being that Macs tend to be incompatible and not a good fit with much of the software that I work with on a daily basis.  I know, I know -- you'll hear that MS-based software can be made to run on a Mac -- but frankly, that's not a reason for me to consider switching.  Not when said software runs just fine in its own native environment: and for less of an investment.

Linux I might think about at some point.  But even there, it's iffy.  If certain software packages & hardware devices just plain won't run under Linux -- then what are you gonna do?

Take the path of least resistance & stick with MS Windows.  Like it or not: that's probably going to be the outcome -- and the likely choice -- for most people.  Or at least I'd say that's the way to bet -- right now.

However -- things sometimes have a way of surprising us.  You never can tell.

Something To Do At 3:00AM