Forum: Photography

Subject: October Forum Challenge

bclaytonphoto opened this issue on Oct 01, 2007 ยท 31 posts

Elathan posted Tue, 09 October 2007 at 4:29 AM

This is a brilliant challenge, really, but it's hard to pick 3 pics to describe the area where I live. So I will describe a bit from the history and landscape. The village I live in is called St. Hubert and belongs to the small city Kempen. It's located on the Lower Rhine, which is in the western part of Germany, near to the Dutch border. You can find it in Google Earth. If you want to have the kmf file, please contact me. St. Hubert is very old, first mentioned for a wooden chapel on the Kendel, which is a (nowadays) very very small creek. St. Hubert was a village on the border between the country ruled by the archbishop of Cologne and the duke of Geldern. This was very important, because that was the border between Catholizism and Protestantism. In 1790 it got its promotion as an independent parish. St. Hubert was independent from any other city till 1970, when it was assigned to Kempen in a Communal Restructuring Reform and lost it's independence. Today it's still a very rural village with a strong community. There are fields all over, woods all around. The Lower Rhine is plain, but near to St. Hubert there are some hills, which are end moraines fron the last glacial period. I really love living here. Kempen: The first confirmation of Kempen as a town in official documentation was in 1294. Kempen itself was centre of the Reformation for the Lower Rhine. It's famous son is Thomas Hemerken, called Thomas a Kempis. He became well-known throughout the world for his four-volume work "The Imitation of Christ", in which he preaches a life defined by charity, humbleness and piety, without worldly possessions and claim to worldly approval. But now here are some pics: The first is a view from top of a firemens turntable ladder. You can see our church, St. Hubertus, and the fields and acres towards the north. I live directly at these fields.