Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Lighting Tutorial Links (Bookmarks)

Acadia opened this issue on Aug 24, 2006 · 21 posts

Acadia posted Sun, 14 October 2007 at 9:16 PM

Quote - Just updating this:

Some information on Light Probes. What they are, how do they work, where to get them, how to make them and ways to use them.

Explanation on what a light probe is and how it works

First thing you need to do is download the free  HDR Shop v1

Next read the tutorials they have there on how to use it. It's pretty straight forward but you will need to read the tutorials on how to get started with it.

Here is a better tutorial on using HDR Shop

Here are some  images

You will need the HDR Shop to convert those to .jpg images for use inside Poser.

You can also make your own from normal images but you need multiple images in order to do that. You can see what I mean by going to this link and scrolling down to the cross format images.

What I do is find HDR ready images that I can turn into a sphere using HDR Shop.  Here are some links:

http://gl.ict.usc.edu/Data/HighResProbes/    Download the HDR ones

http://hdri.3dweave.com/library/

Last year I managed to find some other links as well by searching google for things like IBL images, HDR Images, and Light Probe Images.  I can't readily see them in google right now: it's possible that the sites are gone or that I'm just not dealving deep enough into the search.  But those links above should be more than enough for your uses.

EDIT:

You might want to check out these 2 links at RDNA. Our very creative bagginsbill has a great technique for a new way to use light probes!  And he was kind enough to write up a tutorial on how he accomplished it.  The best thing is that it only uses ONE light!!!

Not your average IBL image (see tutorial just below)

HDRI IBL in Poser using LDRI with Nodes

Just correcting a link that was broken

Not your average IBL image (see tutorial just below)

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi