Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: semi-OT - What others are saying about Vista elsewhere

XENOPHONZ opened this issue on Oct 07, 2007 ยท 71 posts

Penguinisto posted Wed, 24 October 2007 at 12:15 PM

Meh - one is an article about a guy who got his ego bitten off (kernel.org's mailing list is not for the feint-of-heart; participate at your peril), and the other is about how your OS (if it's Vista) will literally cut you off because it thinks you're a pirate just for updating your video card driver.

Waiting with XP is prolly the best course of action if you have to stick with Windows (just bought a machine, etc)... dunno if MS will be able to keep its market share with Vista driving people elsewhere in droves, though.

The same factor that put MSFT on top (the computer comes with the OS), may be what kills it. Folks are seeing how dog-bad Vista can get (I'm sure that it runs well in many cases, though), and decide to look somewhere else. Apple just posted one hell of a record quarterly report for growth, at a time of year when normally things are kind of slow. They report that they sold more Macs in Q3 2007 than they ever had in any other fiscal quarter... in their entire history. Q2 2007 held the previous record for Macs sold, and Q1 before that. In short, their growth is explosive. Meanwhile, Vista's growth is being kept in life support by dint of having it pre-installed on new OEM machines, with no indication as to how many of those got flushed and replaced with XP or even Ubuntu (which is also experiencing some rather exponential growth).

The scary part is, I don't really see anyone here @ work in any hurry to push Vista out, either... and I've only seen about 5-10 Vista machines total in a building that houses ~600 user computers (desktops/laptops).

/P