Forum: Photography

Subject: Canon 400D with EF-S18-55 - opinions anyone?

ABodensohn opened this issue on Oct 22, 2007 · 49 posts

MRNot posted Fri, 26 October 2007 at 2:31 PM

> Quote - I am thinking about buying a DSLR, and Georges Hoens mentioned the Canon 400D to me. I was wondering if anyone here had an opinion on it, and on the EF-S18-55 lens that comes with the kit I found.....Would the 400D be okay for me, what do you guys think? (My alternative might be the Olympus 510, but I am only starting to begin considering making up my mind right now, so I'm not adverse to other suggestions. *g*)

My $0.02: I was previously not interested in photography at all, really.. This past year, I decided to dump my archaic Hewlett Packard point&shoot & get a new camera. I toiled over the decision of P&S vs DSLR, and what brands to consider. I consulted a co-worker who has a recently purchased an Olympus 8MP DSLR (sorry, but I don't recall the model). I consulted with a non-Renderosity online associate whose husband is an amazing photographer. After all that, I decided on the EOS Rebel Xti (As it's known in the US market/400D elsewhere). Immediately, using the kit lens & "Basic Zone" shooting modes, as they call them (Portrait/Full Auto/Macro/Landscape/etc), I was blowing myself away with the quality of the output. When compared with ANY semi-pro photographs, they weren't as sharp or interesting, but I admittedly know little of what I'm doing.. I found myself wanting to do wildlife photography for which the 18-55mm just wouldn't cut it, and after more consultation & discussion, ended up with the Sigma APO DG 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Macro. The included pic was taken the day I received it, using (automatic)Landscape Mode at 300mm (non-Macro), resulting in ISO-100, f/7.1, 1/500" settings.

Now, since I got my Sigma, my Olympus-using co-worker had decided it was time for him to upgrade to a Sigma 50-400mm lens, which he ordered in (May?), and still hasn't received yet. I can't speak for actual Olympus lenses, but this situation makes me happy I decided to go with Canon for architecture.. My co-worker has begun considering whether he should dump the Olympus simply because he's concerned about availability of lenses as time goes on.. Your mileage may vary.

As I've gotten to know the camera, I have settled on mostly Aperture Priority shooting, and I'm getting to the point that the 300mm lens doesn't get me close enough to what I want to shoot (very often, anyway). Conveniently enough, here in the US at least, there are vendors that will rent you lenses for multiples of weeks for very reasonable rates, so I have a feeling next Spring (or earlier) will find me experimenting with a 2x teleconverter, and/or a Canon 70-200mm f/2.4 USM IS plus some wide angle lenses, loong before I finally decide to actually spend more money on glass.

I think your research is going to pay off for you in your decision very well. I personally have only used the 400D/XTi, and am still a complete novice, so my opinion is skewed, but take a look at some of the recent additions to my gallery, and see what you think about the things this camera/lens combination can do in the hands of an impatient, untrained idiot..