Forum: Community Center

Subject: Ebots stopped, started again, now I get SPAM

bagginsbill opened this issue on Nov 01, 2007 · 27 posts

bagginsbill posted Fri, 02 November 2007 at 11:57 AM

Quote - Did you check with the admin for your eMail forwarding system? 

LOL Are we still not paying attention?

The email forwarding system I use is SpamGourmet.com. They EAT spam on your behalf. The whole point of it is that they let you make up unique addresses so you can give them to legit companies (like Renderosity) and still receive your email. But, as has precisely happened here, if the address gets stolen and used for spam - you just turn it off. 

I think it would be completely pointless to contact the admins at SpamGourmet - since the only reason they EXIST is to deal with the situation that has actually happened here. You don't contact them and ask if they have a leak - they could not possibly have a leak, otherwise what would be the point of their existence?

They specifically wrote their software themselves. It is not like Bondware or other PHP servers that are loaded with security holes. They designed their software to be absolutely bullet proof, and they never have to upgrade it at all, because all it does it keep a counter and forward email to your real address, unless and until you let the counter go to 0. Since it is not evolving, there is no chance that new bugs are introduced.

Everybody should try their service. It is free and only takes like 1 minute to set up. And - here's the cool part, when you make up a new address, you don't even have to tell them. It's completely magically automatic. Very clever.

Please do not make any more suggestions that the address was leaked from there. 

Think about this - what are the odds that I and hundreds of other Renderosity users who have unique addresses assigned to Renderosity, are seeing spam to this Renderosity private addrses and ONLY to this Renderosity address. 

If SpamGourmet was the culprit, then ONLY SpamGourmet customers would be affected, and ALL our SpamGourmet addresses, including my one true address, would be receiving spam. Also, it would be necessary that all the other Renderosity users used SpamGourmet addresses. They did not - it's happening to yahoo and gmail and other addresses. 

The only common thing among the victims is that the address is stored at Renderosity and nowhere else, other than the actual mail destination. In my case, that destination is, thankfully, SpamGourmet.com and I can turn it off without having to close my real email account.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)