Forum: Community Center

Subject: Ebots stopped, started again, now I get SPAM

bagginsbill opened this issue on Nov 01, 2007 · 27 posts

bagginsbill posted Fri, 02 November 2007 at 12:00 PM

FYI: - A few items from the SpamGourmet FAQ

Pay particular attention to "I don't trust you enough to create an account with you using my email address"

Q. How does spamgourmet stop spam?
A. Simple. We delete all of our users' email.

Q. Do you really delete all the mail?
A. OK, there are a couple of exceptions. See below.

Q. Is it free?
A. Yes. All we want is your spam. Your copious spam! (for statistics - the spam is deleted)

Q. Are you going to send me any email?
A. No. That is, unless you email us, in which case somebody will probably reply. Seriously - you can expect a confirmation message when you sign up, a password changing message if you need to recover your password, and that's it (we don't, for instance, send a message saying that your password was changed successfully). We will never send you a message with an attachment!!! There are a lot of viruses running around impersonating email system adminstrators, including us. If you get a message you weren't expecting, it's almost certainly not from us. If it has an attachment, don't open it

Q. I don't trust you enough to create an account with you using my email address.
A. That's not really a question, but here are some things you could consider: a) Go away -- if you change your mind, come back; b) Consider our track record -- we've been here for over 5 years (since late 2000), have never sent even one message to our user list (and no one else has access to it), and have tens of thousands of happy users; c) If you have time, create a free webmail account somewhere and use that to try us out -- be sure to use a really long username with that account, so that you don't get dictionary spam and think it came from us; d) use a disposable email service that doesn't require you to supply a forwarding address. There are several of them out there, and one of them might be just what you want -- be prepared to do more work than you would if you'd signed up here, though, since you'll have to repeatedly go to their sites to read your messages.

Q. Really, how does this site make money?
A. It doesn't. This is a non-commercial service created by folks who've been driven rabid by spam. If you're really concerned, donate, buy a t-shirt, or a mug, or something. Or don't. It really doesn't matter because the service actually costs very little to run, and there are plenty of people lined up to take over paying the tiny hosting fee, if the need ever arises. Nobody has money tied up in the service -- nobody is expecting a return on investment from the service. If you'd like to discuss this, visit this thread

Q. Will spamgourmet stop spam from coming straight to my email address?
A. No. Spamgourmet only gets involved when the sender uses a disposable address that you've given out. When this happens, the message first comes to spamgourmet, then (maybe) to you. If someone sends a message straight to your real email address, spamgourmet isn't involved at all.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)