Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: poserworld.com gone??

bnetta opened this issue on Nov 02, 2007 ยท 31 posts

steveshanks posted Sat, 03 November 2007 at 6:06 AM

Message from Allen as posted at the PW Forum

The main server is shutting down randomly, it appears it happened again last night around 10pm eastern standard, luckily I woke at 2am and discovered the server being offline.

I am trying to figure out what is causing it. I have several suspicions, one of which is a memory problem, problem is you have to replace a whole bank (4 sticks) at a time rather than a single chip. The server has 12 gigabytes of RAM in it, 4 gigs (one bank) is about 550.00 dollars. I have done a few other things that I have suspect might be a culprit, I am hoping it is, I would rather not have to come up with and spend 550+ dollars and find out it wasn't the problem.

I have eliminated several potential problems, but the biggest problems is that it happens as if someone pulled the plug on the server, rather than a crash. I can't get it to show me any errors.

I may take it offline one more time today and run extensive memory and RAID controller tests on the server.

If it continues though I will put Poser World on another server till I can figure out what is causing the problem.

I wish I could just up and buy a newer server, problem is the Dell 4600's we use with everything in them costs about $25,000.00 (LOL) each.

Steve