Forum: Photography

Subject: For MrsLubner, selective color tutorial for Elements4

bentchick opened this issue on Nov 12, 2007 · 4 posts

bentchick posted Tue, 13 November 2007 at 9:06 AM

Ahhhh, now that's where I have this other turorial for you. Although you can mask off more then one item by using the shift button to add to the previous selection, and this works well with the magic wand mask (I'm sure with the paint brush mask you only need to keep using it on whatever you want to save the color of, without any additional steps). When you have a lot of detail it's easier to remove the color first and then "erase" the color where you want it back "and this is how you do that"!!!

Here is the other selective coloring tutorial.

Step 1: Open photo. Go to  "Layer", "New", "Layer via copy". This will give you a picture of the same in a new layer. Once you do this you should already be in Layer 1 and not have to do anything else.

Step 2:  Go to "Enhance", "adjust color" (here you can either) "Remove color, (or) "Adjust hue/ saturation" (if you play around with the levels here you can get a varied coloration of your background, like a sepia tone,etc.

Step 3:(Note:  I find it easier to first mask off areas you want to return color to if they are large and uncomplicated, like the door.)
Go to your tool bar on the left and choose your eraser tool and erase the area you want color back to.

Step 4: Once you've completed the areas you want color to, make any other adjustments to color or lighting and go to "Layer", "Flatten Image".  Now you are ready to save image.

Now go have some fun and let me know how it's working for you. I will be out of town for a couple days, but if I get a chance to check my email, I will look in to see how your doing! Have fun!!!!
Kim

Kim Hawkins

Kim Hawkins Eastern Sierra Gallery