Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: e frontier America Products Acquired by Smith Micro

clsteve opened this issue on Nov 15, 2007 ยท 354 posts

mickmca posted Sun, 18 November 2007 at 7:16 AM

I doubt very much that SM will add copy protection to Poser. Much more characteristic to just drop the price to a point where stealing is a waste of time and resources.

I've seen copy protection on everything from 12,000 DTP to $30 games, and I'm at the "If it has ANY CP, I'm not buying it" point. I bought the Oxford English Dictionary ten years ago for $300. It's my second favorite proof that rape can be educational. It was copy protected by C-Dilla, and the pinheads in Oxford marketing don't support CP upgrades. C-Dilla is OS-specific, so I can't use the dictionary any more because the copy protection only works with pre-W2K Windows (and only a few of those). It was to protect them from all those unscrupulous English professors.... Sad. A bit like learning that William Shakespeare liked to bite the heads off puppies.

I play Zoo Tycoon a few times a month, and it has a "benign" version of the vicious CP on Sierra Games. That means that rather than wrecking my CD drivers and various other dubious computer parts (the USB ports, drives or not) and ultimately crashing the computer to the point that I had to do a wipe and reinstall (twice; I'm a slow study, and the last game was a Japanese horror movie RPG that I adored), ZT just hoses my CD drive until I reboot a few times.

Thieves expect thieves. Hence the marketing fixation on copy protection. And frankly, they are welcome to each other.