Forum: Carrara

Subject: Another reason to own Carrara 6Pro...

MarkBremmer opened this issue on Nov 16, 2007 · 14 posts

FeatherDrop posted Thu, 06 December 2007 at 7:28 AM

As Poser Users, changing to either Daz Studio or Carrara is going to involve a learning curve and, to all intents/purposes, both applications will be new (I think users who own both Poser and Carrara will be in a minority).

Over the last 2-3 years I've bought a lot of Poser content and it is this 'legacy' that I want to keep using.  Many of the items are pre-DazStudio, both from Daz and Renderosity.  I've tried using Synful Mynds poses in Daz Studio and they have done horrible damage to Vickie's feet!  Daz materials are different from Posers, so the brilliant latex materials from Skyewolf aren't usable either (similarly in Carrara I would suspect).

A recent review in 3D World described Carrara 6 Pro as a 'Poser Killer'.  IMHO, I think that Carrara Express amply does the job - at only $90 full price it's pretty economical, allows access to all Poser Content and has an upgrade path to the full products.

As I see the situation, there is a lot of uncertainty with the future of Poser but Carrara is poised ready to strike but there are one or two things missing to fill the void (again only an opinion from a Poser oriented person)...

1. Poser Materials/Carrara shaders aren't interchangable
  2. Poser/Carrara Lights aren't interchangable
  3. Very few tutorials on how to use Poser content in Carrara 6 using the Content Browser
  4. Material provided with Carrara 6 is still heavily oriented to previous version

I may be wrong with these assumptions but I'm really excited by the idea of exploring and using Carrara 6 Pro (and I might try and provide tutorials as part of the process).