Forum: Photography

Subject: For all those who think digital is better than 35mm

bsteph2069 opened this issue on Jun 05, 2001 ยท 13 posts

Marshmallowpie posted Wed, 06 June 2001 at 4:22 AM

One thing I like about using an SLR and film is that I can't take unlimited amounts of pictures, I have to do my best to get it right. Being the lazy slob I am, I don't think I'd really bother to learn very much about photography if I had a digicam, I'd just keep shooting till I got exactly what I wanted. With film I can't allow myself to take more than 2-3 pictures of each subject because of the cost, and because of this I've learnt a lot more than I ever did with a digital. Not that I'm saying that this is the case for everybody, I'd think the opposite. For me it is also a sentimental thing. My dad (who made me interested in photography in the first place) has always used an old 35mm TopCon. I always think of him, mumbling about f-stops and shadows, when I take photos. When I was younger I really admired his skill, and I thought I'd never understand anything about f-stops and ASA and shutter speed etc. (JordyArt, don't worry, it's not as hard as it seems!) So learning and understanding the basics of my SLR has given me a sense of satisfaction. The instant gratification thing is less important to me, half the fun is waiting for the results. And besides I just love being in total control of what I'm doing.. Now..give me a totally manual digital camera and I'll be happy..or a digital back for an SLR...that'd be perfect :P