Forum: Photography

Subject: For all those who think digital is better than 35mm

bsteph2069 opened this issue on Jun 05, 2001 ยท 13 posts

Jack Casement posted Wed, 06 June 2001 at 8:13 AM

I am going to throw a spanner in the works here and say, IMHO, that using a good quality digital camera (not a top of the range one) and a good printer, will produce a top quality print compared with a 35mm one. If it doesn't then you are doing something wrong. I use a Nikon E950 and I print most of my stuff at 15"x12" on an Epson 1270 A3 printer. Having spent 30 odd years juggling with F stops, depth of field ranges and resiprosity failure allowances, I can tell you it's a relief now just to be concentrating on composition. You earn no extra Brownie points just because you decide to take the difficult route. And what's wrong with taking lots of shots of the same subject just to make sure that you have the right one? Having observed professionals at work, it's not unusual (or was that Tom Jones? for them to shoot twenty or thirty ROLLS to be sure that they have everything covered. When I WAS shooting on film I often took lots of framing shots if I was in a one-off situation and knew that I couldn't do a re-take later on.