Forum: Photography

Subject: For all those who think digital is better than 35mm

bsteph2069 opened this issue on Jun 05, 2001 ยท 13 posts

picnic posted Wed, 06 June 2001 at 2:54 PM

The other point is if you are not using manual in your digital, its unlikely taking 2-10 photos of the same thing will make too much difference because the settings will be the same each time (unless the light source changes)--more on this later. That's what I love about my new digicam--I can experiment a bit with the f stops, shutterspeeds, etc.--and not send myself to the poor house LOL. I've used a professional photographer (same one) for years to shoot my textile art jury slides. Textiles are difficult to take to begin with (they absorb light dramatically--especially in saturated hues), but Gary spends time taking Polaroids for lighting, exposure, etc.--then he brackets his shots--so sometimes I get 4-5 slides of the same shot. There is always a fair amount of difference in the shots and he and I choose the best one. He couldn't do this w/o different f stop settings (particularly). Today I tried an experiment (remember my Canon G1 is only 2 weeks old). I had tried to take pics of yellow water lilies in our small pond with my Kodak DC280 before. I never ever could get the yellow right (and today it was high noon with strong southern sun)--in fact they were always white--at best. Once I post worked them by darkening the surround and 'painting' the lilies yellow, but it still was far from good. The Kodak, when it came out, was the first 2 MP that Kodak had made but was still, even with 'some' options, basically a point and shoot. I set up the same shot on tripods, using the zoom on both. The G1 images are right on, color wise, perfectly in focus--what I would expect to get with my SLR. I used manual and experimented with various settings. I also tried aperture priority and the pictures did not suit me aesthetically--altho' they were way better than the Kodak's. This is not to belittle P&S's at all--I enjoyed and loved using my Kodak--it got me interested in photography again--even got my photo job with it by a fair amount of post processing. If you are able to photograph what you want with the camera--to me that's the issue. I could not get a good photo of this particular subject--so I avoided shooting it--simple as that. Now I can shoot it and get a wonderful pic if I choose. I just have more options. To compare a P&S with a higher end digicam with manual controls--or to compare that with the digi SLR's---just isn't right. Its apples and oranges, IMO. I think whatever anyone posts here has merit in one way or another--and I don't care what kind of camera they used to take it--or whether they post processed it or not. I sort of find the SLR vs. the digicam a bit like the PC vs. Mac things LOL. No offense meant to anyone, BTW. Diane