Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: OT - if you are going to install XP 64, there's something that you should know -

XENOPHONZ opened this issue on Dec 17, 2007 · 19 posts

XENOPHONZ posted Tue, 18 December 2007 at 1:17 AM

Quote - The easiest solution is to simply run your SATA HDDs in IDE mode.

I'd run across that solution as well.  However, most of the postings that I read on it pointed out the fact that setting IDE mode causes the loss of SATA functions -- like no AHCI/RAID available.  So they didn't recommend it.

Here's the link to the nLite tutorial that I mentioned earlier (the poster offers excellent advice):

http://www.msfn.org/board/Integration-Intel-Sata-Raid-drivers-t107504.html

The textmode driver loaded via the agency of nLite worked great for me.  I don't install 64 bit OS's every day in the course of my normal work -- I'm not an IT guy.  In fact, this is the first time that I've installed a 64 bit OS at all.......😉.  So, I had to do a little self-educatin'.

Quote - Shoulda just asked me. ;)

That probably would have been the easy way -- but who wants to do things the easy way?  😉

Quote - Nonetheless, TRUE REAL 64-bit (unlike some other OSs just recently released) is amazing, ain't it! ;D

From what I've seen so far, yes it is.

A coworker of mine purchased a new PC pre-loaded with Vista 64.  He's had no end of trouble since then.  He claims that many programs just won't run under Vista 64.

I looked Vista over, listened to the experiences of others, and read through forum postings both pro and con.  I decided that XP 64 looked to be the best bet for now.

Something To Do At 3:00AM