Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Anything after P4

ming opened this issue on Dec 23, 2007 ยท 90 posts

MikeJ posted Sat, 29 December 2007 at 12:24 PM

I'm just going to add this, for whatever its worth...
There is not a single program I'm aware of which does what Poser does best. Takes huge amounts of polygons and manipulates them as groups very quickly. Posing. Its OpenGL is far better than most programs, and I mean to include even the big boys such as maya, 3ds max and LightWave. Thinking about it, its OGL is probably the best I've yet seen in any program.
Although I pesonally feel it would be better still with DirectX, if they were to program for it. (Direct Draw, to be specific), Max, for example, is better in Direct Draw mode than openGL.

My point is, there's a huge demand for this sort of thing, but anyone who wants to create any serious CG, meaning an actual movie, is more or less SOL. No distributed rendering, in spite of the fact they've been pushing it as an animation program for years. The lights rarely do what you expect them to do. The graph editor is a joke. The Setup room is a thorough pain in the ass. The joint editor is ridiculous. The cloth takes way too long to calculate. And so on...

Bear in mind, I'm used to doing these things with LightWave, where each thing I mentioned above is far far easier, more intuitive and predictable and even fun. Poser fights me every step of the way.

Whoever owns Poser is sitting on a potential gold mine if they figure that out and look around at what the other apps can do and incorporate some of that into it.