Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Carrara 6 is it a step up from poser?

SoulTaker opened this issue on Jan 02, 2008 · 43 posts

Paloth posted Wed, 02 January 2008 at 6:48 PM

Carrara 6 has a swift renderer capable of things that Firefly is too old or too slow for--like GI. This might be balanced somewhat by the time it takes for Carrara to open a Poser file (very slow). I haven't checked the speed for native Carrara files. One advantage of Poser over Carrara is the curve parameter, something that's essential for creatures with tails. In Carrara tails curve like a string of segmented boards. Perhaps the curve will be added to Carrara with the next patch. The issue has been "resolved" but is still pending. Carrara is a modeler and a landscape creation program and it has an advanced animation system. The modeler isn't the best, the landscapes range from a Bryce average to really good, depending on the user. (I've seen bad Vue 6 landscapes too, but I think it takes a very special artist to make a bad landscape in Vue.) All of these features leave Poser in the dust. Poser isn't even playing in the same ballpark. Of course, you won't have bagginsbill or faceoff's skin shaders in Carrara. (Smith Micro really should hire bagginsbill, or at least reward him for keeping Poser viable.) I'm still waiting for the curve parameter before I seriously delve into Carrara 6 Pro. It’s always annoying to learn a new interface—except for Modo. Carrara is particularly annoying, but maybe it's just me.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368