Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Carrara 6 is it a step up from poser?

SoulTaker opened this issue on Jan 02, 2008 ยท 43 posts

hemi426 posted Thu, 03 January 2008 at 9:40 AM

Quote - The relationship of P6 and C5P was straightforward: C5P blew Poser out of the water with Transposer installed. Faster, crash-free, vastly better lighting controls... you name it. P7 offered some improvements that evened things up, notably in rendering times and sizes. C6P came out over hyped (what else is new?) and larded up with "promises." And it has problems with P7 -- notably, it won't recognize it as a legitimate Poser to support TransPoser, so if you don't have a P5 or P6 installed, that functionality is not available.

My analysis after working with the two programs for a couple of weeks: I'm fed up with the problems (not limitations, problems) in P7 and have no intention of upgrading yet again to get another round of legacy crap and fresh chrome. Using C6P exclusively means relearning a bunch of work methods and walking away from the biggest improvement in P7: materials handling. But I'm on my way. C5P has as much potential for materials creation as P7 does, but the two approaches are so different that there's not much crossover. Fortunately, DAZ has merged the C5P world with the Poser world, and some of the deficiencies (superb models for skin, for example) are being remedied.

I have Carrara 5 Standard, Transposer and Poser 6 and never used it, because Carrara/Transposer couldn't deal with multiple Poser runtimes. Has this ever been fixed? I now have a Q6600 CPU and Carrara could use all 4 cores for rendering.