Forum: Photography

Subject: January Forum Challenge Black and White/ Monochrome

bclaytonphoto opened this issue on Dec 30, 2007 · 109 posts

MrsLubner posted Sat, 19 January 2008 at 11:29 AM

Richard, that sky looks awesome in b/w. The swirl really pops out.

Flannelman, you know I adore that canine companion you share space with but he is even more appealing in this b/w. I know its difficult to catch him with good contrasts because of his singular color but you have done a very good job and still retained good detail !

Tara, your buds are fantastic. So many times I've had to swap good color distinction for the detail in a macro but you managed to get both strong on these buds with the b/w.

Mick, your smoking tin is one of the best b/w photos I've seen in a long time. The gleam on the metal is not glaring but the grain of the wood is bold while retaining the fine detail in the writing. Maintaining that balance of contrast throughout a photo is difficult but you did a fantastic job.

CWT, I like your over all composition and it seems to do well in b/w. Have you taken this shot at different times of the day to see how the shadows play? It looks like a 3-part series throughout the day would  peek my interest.

The swan has good strength as do the eyes over flowers. In fact, both have great balance in the composition that brings out the balance in contrast. 

I am finding there is great diversity in personal styles with b/w photography. Its a great way to learn what I can do to put a better spin on my shots.

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault