Forum: 3D Modeling

Subject: Collaborating? Victorian era villages etc...

Conniekat8 opened this issue on Apr 27, 2007 · 1329 posts

dvlenk6 posted Sun, 20 January 2008 at 9:24 AM

I was mostly making the water for koosievantutte to use in kerkythea.
If anyone wants it, they are welcome to it; but anyone using Bryce, Vue, or some such can easily generate there own water.
This one is displaced plane for geometry. The displacement is pretty simplistic (a wave and a noise); and yes, those could be rendered to texture and used in any program that supports displacement. It isn't much to it in that respect. But that doesn't help koosie; who has no displacement in kerkythea; so I was planning on subdividing the plane, putting the displacement into a mesh modifier, and exporting the resulting geometry as an .obj
There is no texture on the water surface (except a simple random noise bump) either. Just a weak diffuse raw color. Nothing at all to it there. however...

Water surface properties are very complex and those can't be exported. Shaders like that don't transfer between programs. Shaders have to built specifically for each progam.
With this one, I am being careful to use only shaders that I know kerkythea can emulate. I will translate (at some point) the mental ray shaders into kerkythea shaders and make a water material. That could be applied to any 'water object' in kerkythea.

Koosie, are you more interested in physical accuracy or render time?
Water has several properties that are very render intensive. Good (meaning accurate) water takes a long time to render; and I think mine there is only fair. That said, the picture took almost 4 mins to render!!!
I will aim for a comfortable middle ground, but should I concentrate on accuracy or speed when constructing the kerkythea water material?
There is a lot of leeway in there.

Friends don't let friends use booleans.